It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: How do I get better?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:10 pm 
Private
Private

I apologize for the semi-clickbaity title. Like some others, I took an extended hiatus from BD (in my case to focus on academics) and then returned rather recently. I was good at BD, but never really great. I know how to conquer, and expand properly, how to make effective unit comps, manage risks, and do some basic fighting. All the usual jazz anyone that's ever played for a decent amount of time knows. Now that I've returned, a little older/wiser/able to give more time (and money ;) ) , I really wanted to get better. Now maybe this is just because of very low sample size, but here is the problem I have right now: all of the other intermediate players like me seem resigned to playing as a sub/not to win. The goal seems to be to placate the good players into hopefully leaving you and your alliance a small chunk of territory and hope the big scary alliance you are subbed to takes out anybody with higher score. That's all well and good, I am sure it's a fine strategy if one wants to get #2/3.

But - and again, I am not a BD expert or anything close to that so maybe I am wrong, but I feel like the best way for me to learn how to play well is to get the everliving (Want to be allies? Sometimes I like to pretend I am a princess riding a pony..) stomped out of me in wars by better players over and over until I learn from my mistakes. In this situation I find myself in, the only people who seem to be willing to war against players who are good are other players that are good. I can't rightly just attack a full alliance on my own, and it doesn't seem like anybody else outside of the players who are also accomplished wants to fight wars. I do not think I will learn much in battling 8-12 good, coordinated players by myself, they will just crush me with overwhelming numbers.

I would appreciate some advice regarding this. I really want to learn the intricacies of this game, now that I finally have the ability to be really active. Do I just need to submerge myself in eras? I had thought the solo eras might be a good opportunity to learn since at least it would be nominally 1v1, but when I looked into that last year and saw one player with approx. 20 subs, I decided to give that a pass. If you've read this far into my nonsense, I commend you :D
Ahruiz

Post subject: Re: How do I get better?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:26 am 
Private
Private

BD is not as competitive as before..U might have noticed the small amount of players playing each era ( 250-350) unlike before when there was about 1k+ players in each era..

And, yes many ppl have quit, but alliances like TK (with 5+ subs) doesnt exist now :)

If you can be active, and if u are really commited to playing, then im sure you can become good very soon..But, as always, failure is the stepping stone to success..

Fighting and loosing is one of the best ways to learn tactics, and how the opponents play (especially if they are expd players) and then learn from mistakes...If u want to get better, then i suggest you start from basics and play with patience..many players are impatient and they want the top alliances from the day they start playing, but due to lack of tactics, skill and activity, they loose and get dissapointed and quit...So, i suggest u start playing with subs, or small individual alliances, and then move to bigger and better alliances

Good Luck, and hope to see you in the top soon :)

---------------------------------------------
-Merciful-
BM, UNIT, NJOY, TB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:08 pm 
Captain
Captain

I would suggest you to apply for a mentor , but i cant guarantee that you will be appointed one

viewtopic.php?f=401&t=1036

Even after u applying for a mentor , incase you dont get one , i suggest PM the admin telling him that you want a mentor.

Yes , many players including myself have quit , also at present tacticsoft is focusing on SM & a new multi player strategy game for andriod/ios which is currently under testing . After talking to Micheal Rosen ( CEO of tacticsoft ) he plans to bring the crowd generated by the mobile based game to BD.
If you want you too can be tester. A new testing era should be starting in a few days.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:04 pm 
Private
Private

Thanks for answering. I have applied to be a tester for the mobile game, so fingers crossed I get to be one :D . I guess it's just a case of needing to play more and study how better players play. I will take your advice!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]