It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: CE 2017
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:38 am 
Private
Private

My idea for the next Championship Era:

I have been gone for a long time, first CE era, and missed the second CE which I heard was fantastic.

Anyways I would really like to compete in another CE. It brings out the best of the best and inspires actual competition. After conferring with older players, a certain rank 1 player, and current regulars, all have expressed interest in playing in another CE era.

I have heard horror stories of the admins treatment during past CE's and I am sorry for that. Furthermore I am aware that having CE detracts from activity from other eras. But, Supermechs is popular in its own right, so profit and activity on Tacticsoft will be fine. Also, the spending on CE alone I imagine is quite high. Another CE era would encourage many older players to show up in force, and also get a new generation involved in BD.

I would like to have a CE that starts on January 1st, 2017. I think it would be a fun way to celebrate new years. I would like to hear any ideas that others have too. I know that I am not alone in my desire for another CE.

Post subject: Re: CE 2017
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:14 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

'It brings out the best of the best'

Battle dawn became League's substitute toxic community last CE. i'd like another tho

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:43 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

While CE did bring back older players and bring in some more competition, it also caused a lot of other issues. As you already pointed out. It pretty much killed all the other worlds while it was running. And though CE brought in a lot more income than a usual world, it did not make up for the fact that all the other worlds became barren in terms of boosting.

The admins didn't mistreat players, they simply made hard calls based on what was occurring. The issue is that interference in any manner will undoubtly cause anger on the side it doesn't benefit in such a high stakes era. But the nature of this game allows for too many ways to cheat and so interference is necessary. Questionable OPs placed that even Michael (the creator of BD) had to step in and say it was not a legitimate placement for an OP caused a HUGE uproar in the community. Funny enough, if the attack had kept going, they would of had to turn or die anyways, so maybe they shouldn't of interefere'd and saved themselves the headache.

And due to the high stress and constant finger pointing for nearly 6 months straight, CE caused more old players to quit than any era before. After playing an era for so long, many players spent the entirety of the time pointing fingers and blaming cheating on the other side (which is normal in most eras... but CE was significantly longer than a normal era).

And sure, SM does indeed bring in a lot for Tacticsoft, but BD still needs to pull it's weight. It's silly to keep something that doesn't make profit just because something else is. That's like saying, "I'd much rather make $10 instead of $100". If BD isn't profiting and your depending on something else to keep it out of the hole, then all your doing is losing money.

So unfortunately, there will not be another CE. However, the staff are always open to hearing about any ideas you have for special eras and the such to spice things up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:12 pm 
Private
Private

Thanks Malice, I appreciate your response, and I can tell where you and the administrative side of BD are coming from in your desire not to run another CE. I love BD, but when I returned to it all I see is one alliance with a huge score and all the others with less than half ALWAYS, on every era. It would seem that competition in BD is at an all time low right now, and I thought a CE era would hopefully inspire some.

I think if CE is not going to be on the table then we could implement some other changes to hopefully inspire some actual competition.

For instance, winners receive tokens at the close of every era. I think you should be awarded tokens based on how close the finish is at the end of the era, or how much war was fought. I don't have an exact metric for judging this, but I think handing out prizes dependent upon actual work is a decent idea.

Another idea for a possible era is that pre era everyone goes onto the forum and states there if they want to be part of that era. Then the power that be shuffles those names and teams are randomly paired. I know that that will probably no encompass the full scope of those playing, since many new players are not active on the forum, but at least it would break up the stagnation of the same team winning every time. Furthermore it gives players less well connected a chance to meet and play with stronger people.

Also, this one is a bit radical, everyone plants on an world with no ability to create or join an alliance. The admin before the start of the round randomly assigns you to a team there and you cannot change teams during the era. I think that having to make do with the team you are given would definitely increase competition.

Lastly, what about just offering huge rewards for certain eras, most likely on 1 tickers. They would have a discernible end to the era, it wouldn't drone on like CE, but top players could be incentivized to come back and bring others if there is a large reward in play.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:06 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

All great suggestions, some of which have been suggested before. The biggest thing are organizers to do such events. And very often, the admins are always happy to help out, but the ground work needs to be developed.

Never be afraid to make a suggestion and post it (or send it to an admin to get their advice on what's do-able and what's not). I agree, something new needs to come up. I've been meaning to try organizing a new event soon.

BD Battle Contest was a contest based on killing merit, but it required a lot of work from the players and organizers as it required screenshot proof of everything to be awarded.

Schoolyard Showdown Contest was similar to the posting on forums and leaders were selected to pick 1 at a time in a drafting method.

I've suggested the auto assigned teams before, but unfortunately, it didn't get passed through ever. Not sure if admins would be willing to change their mind on it now though. Thought it'd be fun for all admins to be present on a single map and everyone would be auto assigned to one of their teams when making account. So it'd be players battling it out for said admin's (admin's would not participate, just be the figure heads).

And I will say, E1 right now is very good. Teams have been at war all era and it's tick 1200 with no real clear winner. Rank 1 is currently backed into a corner, but still holding strong solo against rank 2 and 3 (+ subs).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:44 am 
Private
Private

malicewolf wrote:
against rank 2 and 3 (+ subs).

1 of them just died :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]